Looking for EDC handkerchiefs

34 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Kronstadt

Dan Kronstadt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 07:39 PM

Just wondered if people have ideas about good handkerchiefs. Here are my parameters for "good":
Inexpensive
Not too thin - like almost any bandanna
Handkerchief size - smaller than a bandanna
Not white
Solid or with a design, but not too fancy

Right now, I use half a bandanna - with threads hanging of where I cut it. And they are pretty much all the standard solid primary colors with paisley designs in contrasting primary colors. Boring, and faux western...

Any suggestions appreciated!
Dan
  • SvetSenDS and Maximoned like this

#2 Gundose

Gundose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:23 PM

I use Rocket Squares.

• Andrew Cohen likes this

Follow me on Instagram! | Post your photos on Reddit!

#3 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:34 PM

I've heard good things about Hanks by Hank.

• Andrew Cohen likes this

#4 Andrew Cohen

Andrew Cohen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationMonterey/Santa Cruz border, California

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:33 AM

Go to any decent fabric store and look for, IIRC, remnants. That might not be the name, but all the stores here sell squares of material that are too small to be used as a bandana, but look a little bigger than a hankie. (Just remembered-they are called "fat quarters", and I think they may be for quilting.*) They sell 'em pretty cheap to really cheap. Ask if someone there wants to make a few bucks adding stitching to the edges, or find a place that does alterations and see what they'd charge for edging the material. Or if you have a GF/wife/sister/friend with a sewing machine ask that person. Trade them something. Any decent sewing machine now has the stitch you need for that. If you don't like the bits of material, you can buy something you like. The place here sells material off the bolts in 6 inch increments, and I think a bolt is usually 3 feet wide. Get a foot and you'd have enough for 3 single sided hankies. What the hell, we're EDCers and like to customize our carry, right?

*Turns out, after researching it, that a "fat quarter" is a standard size piece of material 18x22 inches. Who knew?

#5 armydoc

armydoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:16 AM

My question for you gents is this, if you EDC a handkerchief why are you carrying one at all?

I can understand one for a suit perhaps, but if you are already carrying half of a bandanna I would imagine you aren't using it for a suit.

A handkerchief will lose a lot of it's many uses due simply to its size in contrast to a bandanna.

For myself I carry two olive drab military cravats they come in very compact sealed plastic bag with 2 large safety pins each. I can use them for a sling and swathe and I can use them as tourniquets.

It would be nice to get the same thing in a more stylish print however..

#6 WallyGator

WallyGator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationSwamps of Florida

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:05 PM

My question for you gents is this, if you EDC a handkerchief why are you carrying one at all?

I can understand one for a suit perhaps, but if you are already carrying half of a bandanna I would imagine you aren't using it for a suit.

A handkerchief will lose a lot of it's many uses due simply to its size in contrast to a bandanna.

For myself I carry two olive drab military cravats they come in very compact sealed plastic bag with 2 large safety pins each. I can use them for a sling and swathe and I can use them as tourniquets.

It would be nice to get the same thing in a more stylish print however..

I usually carry a bandana except for those times when I have to dress up, ie. wear better shorts and shirt with a collar. I carry a handkerchief because I am a gentleman and momma said to always be prepared to give to a lady who's tearing up. I've also used it to wipe my brow. Bandage a minor cut and to blow my nose. Handerchiefs   and bandanas are multi-purpose tools.

#7 Mike

Mike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:30 PM

I was raised to carry a handkerchief.

I use it for a variety of purposes the most of which boil down to when:

Summertime: mopping up sweat

Wintertime: blowing my nose.

If it's clean, I may end up using it to help grab something in the summertime and avoid getting burned, and have used it to collect shards of glass when a mug broke, that kind of thing.

And always, if it's needed by a crying lady (and clean).. out it come.

I find the best one's are the one's I make at home, a 50/50 cotton blend seems to be the best on my nose, and a good tight bind with the sewing.

• William likes this

#8 Dan K

Dan K

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:00 PM

Well, in looking for info on making my own - re: what's involved in sewing the edges? - it occurred to me to check Etsy. Found this shop with quite reasonable prices:

https://www.etsy.com...shopheader-name

Ordered a set of 4, of the slightly larger size - will report back when I get them.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

Dan

#9 alexthesmith

alexthesmith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:21 AM

Not affiliated with them, I don't even use handkerchiefs myself, but I saw this on kickstarter and you might want to give it a look http://kck.st/1PmfVmh

Cool idea except that i'm not a hankerchief kind of guy haha. It's generally not perceived to be cool where I live.

#10 Joshua Denton

Joshua Denton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:23 AM

I'm looking for a bandanna size handkerchief to use for the suggestions you've mentioned inc. emergency tourniquet etc. I like the designs of a some handkerchiefs but I think the material its made from could be better. I'm thinking ultra absorbent material (microfiber etc) Also the size isn't ideal as mentioned. 

Anyone came across something better for EDC??

#11 AmberDragon

AmberDragon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:06 PM

I'm looking for a bandanna size handkerchief to use for the suggestions you've mentioned inc. emergency tourniquet etc. I like the designs of a some handkerchiefs but I think the material its made from could be better. I'm thinking ultra absorbent material (microfiber etc) Also the size isn't ideal as mentioned. 

Anyone came across something better for EDC??

Maybe shop towels?

#12 Joshua Denton

Joshua Denton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 03:44 AM

Maybe shop towels?

Like bath towels?? I think they will be a bit bulky especially as the intention is to carry a large one. I'm thinking 50cm square. Armydoc what do you think of this size??

#13 AmberDragon

AmberDragon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:28 PM

No, like the towels/"rags" you use in garages and machine shops. I'm sure I've seen them bandana-sized and they're very absorbent. You can buy a bulk pack pretty cheap too if that's what you're after. 

#14 armydoc

armydoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:17 AM

Hi Josh,

I never carried or used bandanas before, that goes for handkerchiefs as well. While they have so many uses the main reason I carry  the military cravats is that I can use them for medical purposes, such as tourniquets, compression dressings etc. The smaller the size the more difficult it is for me to use it in the capacity I want to,

The military cravats that I use measure 37in x 37in x 52in and they come sealed in a very small plastic pouch. They take up almost no space at all. Each cravat comes with two large safety pins. The cost about $3.49 per cravat. You can have any color you want for the military cravat as long as it's olive drab.

If I were you, I would list on a piece of paper all the things you realistically plan on using your bandanna for. Then ask yourself will that size work for me to cover those tasks? Ask yourself what will be the best material to use to carry out those tasks you listed.

If I need something absorbent I carry a very small hand towel in the bottom of my EDC bag so I can clean and maintain my multitool or knives if I get bored.

EVERYTHING in the world of EDC is compromise and multipurpose. The more uses the better.

• John L Coulter and semp_94 like this

#15 Joshua Denton

Joshua Denton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 03:53 AM

Thats a really good idea to list them out, I think the issues is going to be until you EDC something you don't realize how much you use it.

I know I'm going to start off carrying a piece 19in x 19in and see how that goes. I'm going to try cutting a Buff head scarf in half long ways as its nice microfiber material and can get them for about a 1$.

I know I want it for so far:

Some medical uses in case I'm away from my kit

General wiping of blade tools

Personal hygiene

Any one else got any unusual uses I'm seen the lists online I'm hoping for something out the box??

#16 semp_94

semp_94

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:03 AM

I have seen a few brands on instagram that look interesting.  Cannot remember the names of the companies, but if you look around a bit I bet you could find some good quality handkerchiefs.

#17 Joshua Denton

Joshua Denton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:47 AM

I got a neck tube/ scarf / motor cycle balaclava / Buff / snood. So many names. Got some off ebay $0.99 each and cut along the long edge these have no seam but don't fray really. Made from polyester microfiber designed to be really soft. Work well as a hank and come if some nice designs. I also managed to lay a cut one back round my neck as a scarf to keep the draught out of my jacket

#18 dischu

dischu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:52 AM

I have also searched for EDC handkerchiefs. I could find some nice hanks but all in US with expensive shipping costs to Germany. It seems that such handkerchiefs are noch available in Germany or I can not find them. So if anyone know a supplier in Germany or even Europe for EDC hanks please inform me.

In Germany I can only find boring grandpa handkerchiefs  :wacko:

The 'Lemmium' campaign - Sign the petition

#19 Albert

Albert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationBrisVegas

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:53 AM

I have also searched for EDC handkerchiefs. I could find some nice hanks but all in US with expensive shipping costs to Germany. It seems that such handkerchiefs are noch available in Germany or I can not find them. So if anyone know a supplier in Germany or even Europe for EDC hanks please inform me.

In Germany I can only find boring grandpa handkerchiefs  :wacko:

Not sure why they don't have them listed on their online store, but try Muji...

http://www.muji.de/de/store/

I know that they do have them in store in Singapore & London. Their linen ones are really good, especially as they get used and washed more

• John L Coulter likes this

#20 Becci

Becci

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 01:07 PM

Hi 

I can make whatever you like..

https://www.facebook..._homepage_panel

Thanks 

1 user(s) are reading this topic