Logo

Today's Active Posts

Photo
- - - - -

Looking for a Strong, indestructible type pen at a decent cost for field use.

12 replies to this topic

#1 Daleemax

Daleemax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:43 AM

Hey all, my EDC is currently lacking a type of writing instrument :unsure: which is unfortunate because i'm always needing to jot orders down in the field. The problem happens to be that the "normal"  everyday plastic pens always break on me or fall out of pocket while jumping in and out of vehicles. I was looking for something affordable, strong, and perhaps something with a solid clip to stop it from bouncing out of my pocket while on Field ex. just curious what you use for your EDC pen, and I'm open to suggestions  :)

#2 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:33 PM

I carry one of the most common EDC pens, the Fisher Space Pen Bullet:

30112.jpg?s=7fd16ceb0114c38e431155e9c25c

30114.jpg

Made completely out of metal, so it's durable. Uses a pressurized cartridge and a special ink, so it write can write upside down, in zero gravity, over grease, and tons of other things. They have a version with the clip:

21uUsAE3F5L.jpg

$17.38 at Amazon with the clip. The clip is okay, it works for me, but I could see it being slightly weak. However, it is so small that I often carry it in the bottom of my pocket with no problems. When open, it is the size of a standard pen, which is really nice. 

However, you cannot deploy it with one hand. So, they also have a clicky version for $12, also made completely out of metal:

21C-EtcsKvL.jpg

• Duff72, Dave, Paige Johnson and 2 others like this

#3 TCOne

TCOne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 01:49 PM

Parker jotter.

Simple, classy, writes really well, cheap, no cap to loose, and tough.   They're getting harder to find in stores (for me anyway).  But they're still available on-line.

• Paige Johnson and Ryan LeClair like this

#4 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:27 PM

The three edc pens I use are: 

1. UniBall Jetstream (cap version) which is plastic, but pretty durable and has the Uniball "super-ink" which is resistant to washing out and is very smooth when writing.  It also has a nice "point" on the non cap end and is a polite society substitute for a tactical pen.

2. The Fisher space pen 

3. The tank of the lot is the County Comm Embassy Pen in Stainless steel, which uses the Fisher space pen refills so is nearly indestructible and writes any where. The only disadvantage to this pen and the reason I do not use it every day is that it's rather heavy to write with all day long. 

Good luck! 

#5 Cody

Cody

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 01:33 AM

I use the Fisher space pen when I'm in the office.  Small enough to fit in the fifth pocket on a pair of jeans.  The clip on mine slips off the pen all the time so I don't like to bring it when I'm out in the field.  

When I'm in the field and want something a little more durable I use a modded Zebra F-701.  I like this because it's full metal and click top.  Link to the steps that I followed are below.  The only changes that I made is that I used the clip and tip from the F-402 because I liked the way that they looked better.  With or without the fisher refill it works just fine, but the pressurized refill seems to provide a better writing when I'm in the field and it's not ideal out.  

EDIT:  The cost of the modification was worth it to me, you can also be careful enough to salvage the other Zebra that you'll need to buy.  

http://clickypost.co...the-zebra-f-701

22797440135_7e0d8f48ae_b.jpg

#6 Edward Colson

Edward Colson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 02:18 AM

I'm a Zebra F-301 guy. Used them on the tarmac as a pilot and just love their durability. I'm using Uniball Signo's now in the office but agree with everyone one on the Space Pens. 

• Dave likes this

#7 Mason Delpino

Mason Delpino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:16 AM

I would look at the Bolt pen by Karas Kustoms. Machined from solid material and the pocket clip is super strong!

#8 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 02:37 PM

Fisher space pen.

Alternatively, CRKT makes a few tactical pens that are well made and if YouTube is to be believed, tough as nails.

#9 Tuiflies

Tuiflies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 06:46 PM

I modded the Zebra 701 with the brass clicky from the 402. The 402 can be still useable if you keep the 402 tip on the 402. The 701 tip interfered with the clickie's operation for some reason. I also kept the zebra ink just because I didn't want to spend the extra $ and I like it.
  • Andrea Lok and Cody like this

#10 Andrea Lok

Andrea Lok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:33 PM

Hey all, my EDC is currently lacking a type of writing instrument :unsure: which is unfortunate because i'm always needing to jot orders down in the field. The problem happens to be that the "normal"  everyday plastic pens always break on me or fall out of pocket while jumping in and out of vehicles. I was looking for something affordable, strong, and perhaps something with a solid clip to stop it from bouncing out of my pocket while on Field ex. just curious what you use for your EDC pen, and I'm open to suggestions  :)

I've used the cheaper Zebra pens since high school after discovering that the ink and ballpoint works much better than the BIC pens.  No more smearing and blobby shit.  I've since upgraded to a Zebra F-701 modded with a F-402's all metal clicky.  It's a heavier pen and it's super classy looking and it can be further modified to take a Fisher Space Pen refill.  The clip on the modified one is much sturdier than the original clip, and even if you do lose it, it's like $25 (Canadian) in parts.

#11 Ludovic Babin

Ludovic Babin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationFrogs Land.

Posted 27 November 2015 - 04:15 AM

Extreme duty pen by Hinderer ?

http://www.rickhinde...treme-duty-pen/

#12 Roscoe Montgomery

Roscoe Montgomery

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 04:12 PM

hinderer investigator or a ti bolt 

#13 Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:17 PM

This is what I use - probably the last pen I'll need to buy.

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The reason I bought this pen was the clip is very strong and almost 2 inches wide so it can clip to a belt or pack strap or pocket. I wear it on my belt most of the time.

Solid, heavy, thick aluminum, no problem if you drop it.

I replaced the Parker refill with a Fisher but getting the refill to retract will take a little sanding of the space pen plastic adapter.

Add some 1/2 heat shrink tubing to the end for better writing grip - it will take some work but it will go on.  

I can't think of a better pen for in the field,

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users