Logo

Today's Active Posts

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

Shaving. What razor & method do you use?

157 replies to this topic

#141 Alli3001

Alli3001

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:35 AM

straight razor ftw!

#142 Scott

Scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:16 PM

So I bought a saftey Razor : Seki Edge Feather. I went expensive because I know myself... If I liked to use this to shave I would want a very nice one. It is Indeed nice. The second reason I bought this is because I have very sensitive skin and people seem to agree that the Seki Edge with Feather Razors seem to play nice with sensitive skin. I did my first shave this morning, using cheap shaving gel and the results were pretty good. I did nick myself twice, but didn't feel it. One thing that is weird is that I can't at all hear or feel the hairs being cut. This must be because the razor blade is so much sharper than the harry cartridges I had been using. So as long as I can figure out a way not to cut myself (which i just think is a matter of practice, I shave once a day) I think I will be a convert. There is definately less irritation, though, I think the closeness of the shave is about the same. I was very good at getting a close shave with the cartridges. 

One thing I don't get is why they don't call using a cartridge razor wet shaving: I use cream/gel and aftershave along with water when I used the harry's razor... the same?

Anyway, this thread was an interesting read and helped me take the "plunge". Thanks! 

#143 Gonzo the Chef

Gonzo the Chef

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:41 PM

I always used a safety razor, I am old enough where you could buy them in drug store, and I wanted to be like Dad when I started shaving. Over the years I have had a Gillette, a Murkur, my granddad's military issue from WW2. Now I use my dad's Wilkinson Sword Sticky! I prefer BIC blades. They are mild shavers, consistent manufacture and not super pricey! I use soap at home, prefer Proraso. At gym I like creams, currently using Israeli Mem. 

Digging all the Proraso love in this thread. Love the menthol and eucalyptus component of Proraso green. Post-shave always feels so refreshed!

#144 TK

TK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 11:07 PM

I'm hearing quite a bit about these Merkur Razors I'm really going to have to check them out I've never used one and I have to shave almost daily for work and such. Any major cons to the Merkur? Specific model or size I should go with as a first time user ?

#145 Andy Tims

Andy Tims

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:51 PM

Gillette Fusion Razor & Gel + a Razorpit sharpener.

The Razorpit is amazing - gives me circa 3 months shaving 5 / 6 days per week with a fairly heavy beard.

#146 Mushii

Mushii

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 03:05 AM

I use a Merkur 34C heavy duty razor. if anyone is contemplating changing to a safety razor for shaving then this would be the razor to start with. It's. Well balanced razor and is particularly forgiving for the novice safety razor shaver. Personally I use Derby blades, which are cheap and cheerful but suit me fine.
I tend to double shave, one with the grain and then once against the grain for a super close shave, but I would only recommend double shaving like this once you are confident with your razor.
Expensive shaving brushes are nice, but my daily brush is a cheap generic badger hair brush. One thing that does does make a huge difference to the quality of your shave is the soap that you use. I like Truefitt & Hill sandalwood soap, which is a hard high glycerin soap, which gives a nice smooth lather, even in hard water areas. I don't tend to use an after shave cream or lotion I just rinse with cold water, but do have an alum block in case I nick myself (which is rare these days).
Shaving used to be a chore, now it's a pleasure.
One last tip, for hot towels, a damp face cloth, 30 seconds in the microwave then applied to the face for a couple of minutes prior to shaving really softens the skin and opens the pores, which prevents razor burn and gives a closer shave.
  • Marc likes this

#147 Grant R. Rush

Grant R. Rush

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 12:17 PM

..i've used a straight razor since, about..1986. Right now i use a Luxor Pro razor that i got on Amazon. It's aluminum scales with a stainless clip.
Now, a lot of "purists" balk at the idea of any razor that doesn't have exotic scales and/or expensive steel for blade, but this thing is bombproof, and for the money, it can't be beat.
For years i've considered investing in a more expensive rig, but i'm not sure if i want to strop each time i shave. It's too easy to get the blade out of shape.

#148 Steve Pilipenko

Steve Pilipenko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:48 PM

I "bic" my head every 2nd or 3rd day, all depends on when i wake up in the morning (sometimes the 3am wake up doesnt work, so i skip shaving)

I use xtreme 3 razors, havent tried the straight razor which ive considered but im a bleeder as it is with the 1-2 use razors so i haven't quite got up the courage to try it .... Maybe one day... lol

#149 Jonny

Jonny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:21 PM

I keep my neckline clean but have had a beard for a year and a half now, before that, a goatee for a year or so (i know I know, get over it). I have a Merkur long handle safety razor, boar hair soap brush as well as a stand (great presents from my folks) I love my safety razor, no irritation and so cheap razors. If you haven't tried it yet, you should.

#150 jacksbuddy

jacksbuddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 03:23 PM

Ok, this is my very first post, and I have to tell ya', some of y'all are rich!  :P  :)

Anyway, what I use - to join this conversation - is a safety razor purchased from Sally's Beauty Supply (A local chain), generic blades from the grocery store, and good ole Barbasol shave cream.  This set-up has given me a great shave consistently.

BTW, I've been using these since Wal-Mart started charging $15.00 for a five pack of Mach-3 cartridges. (Now they're a lot higher!)

#151 Jason

Jason

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 06:49 PM

I use the Philips Norelco OneBlade. It's incredible.

#152 ElGiganteJake

ElGiganteJake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 09:24 AM

Dorco Prime - classic double edge.

http://www.dorcousa....me-starter-set/

It's small, it travels well and works.  Also replacement blades are cheap.  I use Natura branded gel when I can get it (available in South America only - get it when the in-laws come visit) or Gillette gel that the wife buys when she can get it onsale with double coupons.  :)

#153 Stentorian

Stentorian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 03:41 PM

Right now I have a beard. But when I don't, I shave daily. I use a Merkur double edge safety razor like this:

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B002A8JO48

There's 3 main ways of shaving:

1. electric

2. disposable blades

3. old school - straight blade or safety razor

I've tried all 3, but because of my thick beard only the safety razor works for me. It has the nice side benefit of being inexpensive. The last time I bought blades, they were $20 for 100. I use 1 blade per week, so essentially a 2 year supply @ 20 cents/week. The razor itself is an initial investment, but long term is far less expensive than disposables.  I used to use a shaving brush to apply soap from a mug (old school style), but have settled on using the lotion style from a can.  

What do you use & why?

I use the same Merkur!  Only I paid up for the gold plated one. 

Well worth it.  I also have another dual-edge handle which isn't so nice because it does not have a knurled handle.  That one likes to slip out of my hands.  I keep telling myself I should put a couple of rubberbands around the grip; that would probably help me hold it steady.

I also use a Gillette Mach 5+1 (5 blades plus a mustache blade on the back).  I use the single blade to trim the hairs right under my nose and I use the 5-blade side to remove the mustache and also to get a closer shave around the sides of my mouth as well as the part of skin next to my lower lip.

It's unfortunate that the Merkur can't shave me closely enough around upper and lower lips, but a Gillette used only for this will last me for months.  If I didn't have a Gillette, I'd probably be going around with the little straight mustache under the nose like a lot of people had in the 1920s thru 1940s.  The Gillette is also good for that once or twice a week when time is limited and/or whipping up a bowl of cream would just be a hassle.  The Gillette is also good for going over my head "one more time" after I'm done with the Merkur.  There's nothing more annoying than jumping in the shower and finding a few strips of wiskers on top of my head where the Merkur missed it.

I like using "Head Slick" (comes in a yellow and black plastic bottle) for shaving my face and head.  I also like the creams from "The Art of Shaving", as well as Colonel Konk shaving soap.  One nice thing about using a safety blade is that you can pretty much use any oil, soap, shampoo, or cream rinse to shave.  The Art of Shaving makes a very good shaving oil (and creams), though that brand is always hyper-expensive, and any cheap body oil, cream, or soap will work just as well anyway.

Favorite Shave (allow 20-30 minutes after your swim):

1. Go swimming.  Yes.

...or take a long hot shower and let your face get wet and stay wet.

2. Start soaking your shaving bowl and brush in HOT water.  I mean hot.  Not boiling, but hot.

3. Apply oil to your wet, warmed up face.  Use lots of oil.  Nivea Sesame oil is nice; the ladies like it for good reason.  Get your face (and if you shave it, your head) all slathered up with oil.  Literally, I mean it...oil yourself like you're getting ready to fry up an omelette on your face.  :lol:

4. With the oil still on your face, whip up your soap, cream, or "other" lubricant.  I love how the HeadSlick's menthol feeling makes my skin tingle.  It's not meant to be whipped up, but you can if you add some hot water.  Use a good badger-hair brush and get it foamy like Miracle Whip.  Whether you use soap, cream, HeadSlick, or something else, you may need to practice so you can get the feel for the right amount of water to use.

5. Drop the razor(s), handle and all, into a sinkful of hot water and let them heat up.

6. Use your brush to apply the cream over the top of the aforementioned oil.  I apply it to my head first so that it can soak in, then to my face.

7. Rinse hands so the razor handle won't slip.

8. Shave my mustache, mouth, and chin with the Gillette.

9. Shave my beard with the Merkur.

10.  Rewhip the cream in the bowl, and apply more to the scalp.  While I shave my mouth and beard, the cream on my scalp will have started to dry out a bit, so re-working it will help keep it wet (hence the name "wet shaving").  For those of you who shave your head, use lots of hot water and lots of cream.

11.  Shave head.  This part is meant to be enjoyed, so take your time and let the weight of the blade and handle do all the work.

12.  If time permits, put some lather on hands and run them over the scalp to find any missed spots.  Reshave as needed.

13.  Jump in the shower again and rinse everything off.  A good dual-edge blade leaves nothing in its wake, but on occasion, I find that some soap will help to remove some of the excess oil from scalp and beard.

14.  Dry off and use a little electric whisker or nose hair trimmer to remove the long whisps of hair growing from the crease where your your ears are attached to your head.  This keeps you from looking like "Wally" from the Dilbert comic strips.

15.  Enjoy that shave.  I mean ENJOY it, because it's like a spa treatment you can give yourself, and all you really did was shave!  I don't have thick whiskers, but a hot shave like this will usually leave my beard feeling great for about 12 hours and my scalp will feel smooth like a baby's bottom for about 18 hours.  If I'm going out with a special lady, I'll wait and shave an hour or two before I need to get dressed.  This will give me time to stop any bleeding that might happen, which is rarely.  But you do need time; you don't want to be in a hurry.

I don't do that "spa shave" every day.  Most days, I shave without oil and I shave fairly quickly, because there are only so many hours in a day.  But when I want to have a really good shave, that recipe above never fails to feel awesome.

With any safety razor, bear in mind that you should not need to "press down" hard into the skin.  If you do, you may spring a leak and then you can't wear a white shirt to wherever you're going.  It's always difficult for me to get a smooth shave under my chin and on my neck, but I usually am able to shave well enough to keep my neck stubble from wearing out my shirt collars.

About 3 years ago, I bought a sample pack of blades for the Merkur.  It had 5 and 10 packs of blades from all around the world; maybe about 50 packs in total.  I paid about $30 US, and I'm still only about halfway through them.  For me, dual-edge blades generally will last for 5 shaves or more (head and face), but I often change them out after 3 shaves.  At about 8 cents each, it's more cost and time effective to just discard them after a few shaves than it is to try to struggle through a blade that has already seen its best days.

Enjoy shaving, fellas!

#154 Daveho

Daveho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 01:57 PM

I've been using Safety razors for the past 5 years or so, cartridge razors never worked well for me personally. I have a couple of straights as well but generally I like my Safety Razors.
I've got a few in my collection, mostly old Gillette from a 1917 old type through to my techs and #21 aristocrat.

#155 Richard Young

Richard Young

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 04:36 PM

I have Rosacea so I use an electric razor & a safety razor on alternate days.The electric is less harsh on my skin but gives a poorer shave. I use a straight edge about once a month

#156 DaBull

DaBull

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:32 PM

Omega Boar Bristle Professional Shaving Brush

Feather Double-Edge Safety Razor Blades

Merkur Futur Adjustable Safety Razor, Polished Finish

Clubman Pinaud Classic Aftershave Lotion

Shavex Alum Block

Cella Almond Soft Shaving Soap

#157 DaBull

DaBull

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:14 AM

I'm hearing quite a bit about these Merkur Razors I'm really going to have to check them out I've never used one and I have to shave almost daily for work and such. Any major cons to the Merkur? Specific model or size I should go with as a first time user ?

Try the Merkur 34 C, can't go wrong!

#158 Shawn Cowan

Shawn Cowan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:09 PM

Check out these guys! Love the razor I got from them.
https://detroitgrooming.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users