Logo

Today's Active Posts

Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Shaving. What razor & method do you use?

160 replies to this topic

#1 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:38 AM

Right now I have a beard. But when I don't, I shave daily. I use a Merkur double edge safety razor like this:

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B002A8JO48

There's 3 main ways of shaving:

1. electric

2. disposable blades

3. old school - straight blade or safety razor

I've tried all 3, but because of my thick beard only the safety razor works for me. It has the nice side benefit of being inexpensive. The last time I bought blades, they were $20 for 100. I use 1 blade per week, so essentially a 2 year supply @ 20 cents/week. The razor itself is an initial investment, but long term is far less expensive than disposables.  I used to use a shaving brush to apply soap from a mug (old school style), but have settled on using the lotion style from a can.  

What do you use & why?

• Plumblucky1, Stupendous Walrus, Sam Quint and 1 other like this

#2 Vasco Cardoso

Vasco Cardoso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:26 PM

Sorry, but I can't help. Haven't shaved in 15 years.

• Stupendous Walrus, Chris Szaroleta and Steve V like this

#3 Chris Doherty

Chris Doherty

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 513 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:41 PM

When i first started shaving I used the stupid expensive Gillette razors, around 2011 I switched to a Merkur Safety razor and haven't looked back. It doesn't irritate my skin at all and the blades are incredibly inexpensive. I've never tried a straight razor, mostly because i feel like i'd just chop off my cheeks haha.
  • Marc likes this

#4 Nick

Nick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationNorth Jersey

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:47 PM

Well I havent shaved in a while but when I did I used a safety razor. The cartridge razors would irritate my skin and were expensive. They also didnt get a close enough shave compared to the safety razor. 

#5 Ed Jelley

Ed Jelley

• Moderators
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:49 PM

I would definitely be considered "old school"

I shave regularly with a Merkur 34C safety razor and find that Feather and Astra Platinums are the sharpest / play nice with my skin. 

I use the Kiehl's pre-shave oil as prep.

Preferred cream is anything by Taylor of Old Bond Street, lathered up with a badger brush in a mug.

Then after shaving, I do one pass with an alum block, rinse with cold and apply Thayer's Lavendar Witch hazel as a light aftershave.

Last step is Kiehl's Facial Fuel moisturizer and I'm good to go. It takes somewhere around 10-15 minutes, but the results are worth it. 

• Glen, Mikey Bautista, Dom and 3 others like this

#6 Chris Doherty

Chris Doherty

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 513 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:51 PM

Then after shaving, I do one pass with an alum block...

What exactly is that and what does it do?

#7 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 02:40 PM

I was thinking about a thread for this! I use a Fendrihan brand safety razor, a Vulfix no. 28 brush, Personna Precision razors and at the moment, eShave lavender shaping soap, and for my beard/moustache I use Bluebeard's Original beard wash. As for aftershave, I use a variety but my favourite is Captain's Choice bay rum.

Ideally, I would like to get a nice straight razor in the future.
  • Dom and Chris Szaroleta like this

#8 Bernard Capulong

Bernard Capulong

• Administrators
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:14 PM

I've been a wet shaver since ~2012 or so! I actually recorded a shave just for informational purposes on my personal blog, you can check it out here:

http://bernardcapulo...-of-mine-that-i

I've since upgraded my razor to a Standard Razor: http://standardrazors.com/

And it's a much more efficient and gentler shave than I could get with my Merkur.

• Stupendous Walrus, Dom and Sven like this

#9 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:19 PM

I've been a wet shaver since ~2012 or so! I actually recorded a shave just for informational purposes on my personal blog, you can check it out here:

http://bernardcapulo...-of-mine-that-i

I've since upgraded my razor to a Standard Razor: http://standardrazors.com/

And it's a much more efficient and gentler shave than I could get with my Merkur.

Bernard, I've never seen one of these. Looks pretty cool.

#10 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:43 PM

I'm not currently shaving, but the Merkur razors are nice.  Despite the style (or lack thereof) in the Dollar Shave Club razors, I'm on the verge of going that direction once I start shaving again.  If for no other reason, to support the hilarity in their advertising.  Seriously, watch this commercial and you might feel the same way.

Also, Bernard's Standard Razors are unbelievable!   

• Stupendous Walrus, David Quevedo and Nate X like this

#11 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:40 PM

Nice to see some other guys using double edges. I might ditch my beard this week...I flip flop between facial hair and clean shaven a couple times a year, like EDC for my face.

Here's some good shaving reads:
http://www.artofmanl...ooming/shaving/
  • Stupendous Walrus, Chris Szaroleta and Nate X like this

#12 Glen

Glen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationN.Ireland

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:31 AM

I only shave my neck a few times a week, I use good quality disposable razors and shaving gel - cheapest, handiest most comfortable option I've found so far.  I use hair clippers to buzz my beard down when the Mrs complains.

• Chris Szaroleta likes this

ico50-twitter.gif ico50-instagram.gif ico50-tumblr.gif ico50-gplus.gif

#13 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:45 AM

Nice to see some other guys using double edges. I might ditch my beard this week...I flip flop between facial hair and clean shaven a couple times a year, like EDC for my face.
Here's some good shaving reads:http://www.artofmanl...ooming/shaving/

I'm the same. I go through a chunk of time one way, and a chunk the other. Special events may change things, but that's about it, I found a double edge safety razor is easiest on my skin as well. I don't know about shipping to the US but for folks that are interested, I get all my shaving stuff and more from this site, based out of the GTA. Http://www.fendrihan.com

Edit: there is international shipping so if it's logical financially, I can't sing the praises of this company enough.
  • Dom and Chris Szaroleta like this

#14 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:48 AM

I'm the same. I go through a chunk of time one way, and a chunk the other. Special events may change things, but that's about it, I found a double edge safety razor is easiest on my skin as well. I don't know about shipping to the US but for folks that are interested, I get all my shaving stuff and more from this site, based out of the GTA. Http://www.fendrihan.com

Edit: there is international shipping so if it's logical financially, I can't sing the praises of this company enough.

Nice, thanks for the link. I'll check it out. I usually buy blades from Amazon, but always looking for other supply options.

#15 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:16 PM

I'm the same. I go through a chunk of time one way, and a chunk the other. 

Ummm...Walruses ALWAYS have a nice, bushy mustache.   ;)

• Stupendous Walrus likes this

#16 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:29 PM

True. Sometimes I'm incognito. ;)

#17 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:55 PM

True. Sometimes I'm incognito. ;)

It's good to be incognito sometimes ;)

#18 Adam Tracksler

Adam Tracksler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:59 PM

After loosing a Merkur safety razor to the wiley TSA, Im using a Harrys triple track. I love a straight razor shave, but SWMBO isn't a fan of me using one, it scares the dickens out of her.... well, and she must be obeyed....

#19 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 03:06 PM

After loosing a Merkur safety razor to the wiley TSA, Im using a Harrys triple track. I love a straight razor shave, but SWMBO isn't a fan of me using one, it scares the dickens out of her.... well, and she must be obeyed....

Haha! You're not the only one with SWMBO!

Really, TSA took the safety razor? Couldnt you just take the blade out?

#20 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 03:18 PM

I won't lie...I had to look up SWMBO.  Very clever, yet accurate.  Whomp...whomp...  :unsure:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users