8 replies to this topic

#1 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 09:19 AM

Not sure where to put this topic....so if it needs to be moved ...

I just spent 5 minutes looking for a planner/notebook for 2016....then I glanced down at my perfectly good notebook that I may have gotten at an office supply store...

And a thought crossed my mind....

The endless search for the newest, latest and greatest, more wonderful gadget, pen, knife, bag, etc ....

Is not going to make me a more organized person nor more prepared for the zombie apocalypse.

I have plenty.  I have enough. 

just thoughts :)

• Gundose and Scott Johnson like this

#2 Gundose

Gundose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 11:09 AM

That's why I just take the notebooks I have like the ones you have and throw a field notes cover on it.  It makes it cosmetically better and I feel more sophisticated carrying it around.  Then again it's just a personal preference.

Follow me on Instagram! | Post your photos on Reddit!

#3 Andrew Curtis

Andrew Curtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationMilford Haven

Posted 24 October 2015 - 02:23 PM

I went through a long 'expensive notebook' phase and kept trying different ones.  I have loads in boxes upstairs, some used, some not.  Moleskine, Rhodia, Ciak, several others.  Now I just use the cheapest pocket memo books, scraps of paper, the back of my hand, and transfer the notes onto a legal pad.  Cheap, and it works.

Though I did this only with notebooks, I can easily imagine myself doing this with other things - gadgets, knives, whatever - and am on constant guard against the tendency.  

As you say, I have enough, and having the newest thing - which is usually the most expensive thing - won't make me any more organised or prepared. On the other hand, if others want to bankrupt themsleves on fads, who am I to argue?  Especially if they're taking photographs and posting them on here for me to look at.

• Gundose likes this

#4 Gundose

Gundose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 02:30 PM

I went through a long 'expensive notebook' phase and kept trying different ones.  I have loads in boxes upstairs, some used, some not.  Moleskine, Rhodia, Ciak, several others.  Now I just use the cheapest pocket memo books, scraps of paper, the back of my hand, and transfer the notes onto a legal pad.  Cheap, and it works.

Though I did this only with notebooks, I can easily imagine myself doing this with other things - gadgets, knives, whatever - and am on constant guard against the tendency.  

As you say, I have enough, and having the newest thing - which is usually the most expensive thing - won't make me any more organised or prepared. On the other hand, if others want to bankrupt themsleves on fads, who am I to argue?  Especially if they're taking photographs and posting them on here for me to look at.

I am also in this phase with knives.  First it was firearms... well it still kind of is :P

Follow me on Instagram! | Post your photos on Reddit!

#5 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 02:36 PM

The best _____________ is the one you use.  :)

You can own the most expensive pen but if you never use it .....

• Caleb Keith and Cody like this

#6 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1379 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 08:03 AM

Not sure where to put this topic....so if it needs to be moved ...

I just spent 5 minutes looking for a planner/notebook for 2016....then I glanced down at my perfectly good notebook that I may have gotten at an office supply store...

And a thought crossed my mind....

The endless search for the newest, latest and greatest, more wonderful gadget, pen, knife, bag, etc ....

Is not going to make me a more organized person nor more prepared for the zombie apocalypse.

I have plenty.  I have enough. 

just thoughts :)

HOLY CRAP!!! A voice of reason! :D I can't agree more. what ever I buy, I buy as carefully as possible. I tend to wait so I can fully decide if I actually NEED a new……, or I just want it. I generally find that the things I have, have served me very well, are still perfectly good, and I pass on buying the "new" This approach has saved me piles of money by not buying toys and trinkets, and saving the cash instead. I belong to another forum that is survival / preparedness based, and many of the members are driven to buy every new knife that comes out, and compete with each other over who has the baddest biggest "BEAST" of a knife. For kicks, I Started competing in the madness myself. For 6 months, I followed 6 members. Every time one of them bought a new knife, I matched the purchase price and banked the money. Without fail, every few days I was banking money to match what they paid for a new knife. At some point, it became so expensive I almost quit, but managed to keep up. At the end of the 6 months, I emptied the account, and made a buy for myself. …..This….

IMG_2598_zpsux54mkcg.jpg

What I find amusing is that these same people are now posting their must have beast knives for sale at a loss, because they over spent, didn't need and couldn't afford what they bought. I much prefer the, carefully thought out, buy from need rather than want, and don't replace perfectly good old just to have new train of thought! 

• Nathaniel P and Cody like this

#7 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 October 2015 - 08:43 AM

Definitely! Contentment helps in a huge way in the long run. I haven't changed out my knife in about a year, and it's still the best knife for me. Everyone else is buying the newest, latest-and-greatest assisted-opener-super-steel-carbon-fiber-weaved-with-titanium-lighter-than-air-so-sharp-can-split-the-nuclei-of-atoms-knives, and they are paying for it. I'll take my $25 utility folder, thank you.

The only "additions" were things I needed, not so much wanted. (Began carrying a pen, notebook, micro screwdriver for my sound technician "job")

• Dave and Scott Johnson like this

#8 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1379 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 09:47 AM

I can't deny that toys are fun. I love them, and from time to time, I indulge my occasional weakness and treat myself. After all, I work hard for my money, why not enjoy it once in a while on an impulse, but I try to keep it to a bare minimum. On the sight I was talking about, most of those nuts will spend more money on custom knife scales than I do on a good Benchmade knife, and do it on a weekly basis. I do have another boat, but it's a lot bigger, and is mostly a dedicated center console fishing boat. I wanted a smaller pleasure cruiser for river trips and relaxing, we use it every weekend have a ball on it.  It was kind of fun to save the money for it like this. A stark contrast to multiple smaller purchases for needless things, as opposed to saving the same money for one big buy that brings hours and hours of great fun and relaxation. 

• Dave, Nathaniel P and EDCLogan like this

#9 Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:51 PM

Every time I start looking around for a Rite in the Rain notebook locally I have to remind myself of something...

I have over 30 pages left.

The last time I wrote in it was 3 weeks ago. It's just for archiving information.

I've never used the grid system in the Rite book so why does my next one need it?

I don't go camping any longer so why do I need waterproof paper?

I have put some thought into buying grid paper and stitching it together down the middle and making my own notebook. I could get 3 from standard 8 x 11 paper. Grid paper because it already has the line to follow. 

But I have to keep reminding myself that I don't need a new notebook Rite now.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minimalism, consumerism

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users