#1 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:38 PM

Looking to streamline my carry by only carrying "one" thing instead of "two". I currently carry my Field Notes in my back left pocket, with my bullet in the front right, so I'm looking for something that will let me combine them. My criteria:

1. Must be made to hold a Field Notes standard notebook

2. Should be able to somehow accommodate a Fisher Bullet pen. I may consider buying one of the clicky variants if necessary.

3. Should be completely black in color. Everything else in my carry is black, and I would like to stick with that theme.

4. Under $60

So far I have found:

Recycled Firefighter Inspector - $49

IMG_9540_2bccc182-c340-456e-94ed-238cdc7It's not completely black, which I don't completely like, and I can't tell if a bullet pen would work. If I bought it, I would have to buy a clicky Fisher pen.

Odin Leather FN Cover - $45

IMG_3907_1024x1024.JPG?v=1421562311This one is black, and it fits a Field Note, but there is no dedicated space for a bullet pen. However, it is made in my home state (Texas) so that's a plus.

So I have been able to find some that meet my some of my requirements, but none that meet all my requirements. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#2 Sam Nehf

Sam Nehf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 05:58 PM

I have one of the Recycled Firefighter Inspector covers, they will hold a fisher bullet or one of the fisher m4b pens, and I believe jake is working on a leather version of those which would come in a black version, he also sells the m4b pens on his site.

#3 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 October 2015 - 08:23 PM

I have one of the Recycled Firefighter Inspector covers, they will hold a fisher bullet or one of the fisher m4b pens, and I believe jake is working on a leather version of those which would come in a black version, he also sells the m4b pens on his site.

Guess I will work on my patience then. The Inspector in black leather would be perfect!

#4 Sam Nehf

Sam Nehf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 09:34 PM

Guess I will work on my patience then. The Inspector in black leather would be perfect!

I remember him having one posted on his Instagram page but it was a prototype I believe, he just started putting out leather wallets so I doubt the inspectors are far behind.
  • Nathaniel P likes this

#5 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 October 2015 - 09:45 PM

I went ahead and emailed Recycled Firefighter today, we'll see what they say...

#6 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:11 PM

Alright, just go a reply back. Here's what they said:

If we do [release an all-black Inspector] it will be a limited special release announced on Facebook and IG. There are no set plans currently, but that request is on our radar.

So no set plans, but they are thinking about it.

Decisions, decisions...

#7 Sam Nehf

Sam Nehf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:43 PM

Pretty much everything he does on his site is limited run based on colors and what not, he announces on social media when things are going to be coming on the site and such. I'm sure you're not the only one who has requested it so I'm sure he will do one eventually..

Ever thought of trying to make your own out of leather? I'm seen some pretty easy looking designs on the internet

#8 Sam Nehf

Sam Nehf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:47 PM

Etsy would be a good place to look, especially for that homemade look and feel..

https://www.etsy.com...CFYeRHwodGS0G8w

That is one I found, I'm sure there are others

#9 Andrew Cohen

Andrew Cohen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationMonterey/Santa Cruz border, California

Posted 22 October 2015 - 01:01 PM

There are straps that you can get for holding notebooks closed that have pen loops on them. Or things like this-

http://www.edisaster...CFUmUfgodVaQPPg

https://www.etsy.com...CFYZbfgodSfcFJQ

Here is one made for Field Notes. Glue the bottom closed or have a shoe repair/tailor sew the bottom of the pen holder shut?

http://www.modernart...mpaign=journals

(http://www.modernart...mpaign=journals)

Or do you actually want a cover, and a pen holder, all in one? 

• Nathaniel P likes this

#10 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 October 2015 - 01:55 PM

Here is one made for Field Notes. Glue the bottom closed or have a shoe repair/tailor sew the bottom of the pen holder shut?

http://www.modernart...mpaign=journals

(http://www.modernart...mpaign=journals)

That one actually looks perfect. My Bullet pen has the clip, so I could just clip the pen inside the pocket and it would not slip through.

#11 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 October 2015 - 12:57 PM

Looks like black leather inspectors are coming!

https://instagram.co...cledfirefighter

AND he confirmed the Bullet pen will work in the pen sleeve.

• Sam Nehf likes this

#12 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 November 2015 - 05:01 PM

I checked with RFF, and it looks like the Black Leather Inspector will be released as part of a package deal on Saturday (11-7-15), but according to their email they have no set dates to release the items individually.

As I don't feel like spending $219 in order to get a $49 notebook cover, I guess I'll just have to keep looking.

That Odin Leather Goods FN cover is pretty good...

#13 Ryan Schertzer

Ryan Schertzer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 03:47 PM

I can make you a custom one, if you're interested.  I could modify this version:

https://www.etsy.com...g-shop-header-2

Message me through the shop, if interested.

#14 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 November 2015 - 05:21 PM

So, I decided to go in a new direction. Instead, I ordered two Rookie Bands & a Fisher Stowaway Pen from Recycled Firefighter.

My wallet is about the same size as the RFF Rookie, so it looks like I will be able to attach the pen to my current wallet, and not have to alter the Field Notes.

Should be here on Friday, so we'll see how it works.

#15 Sam Nehf

Sam Nehf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 07:20 PM

So, I decided to go in a new direction. Instead, I ordered two Rookie Bands & a Fisher Stowaway Pen from Recycled Firefighter.

My wallet is about the same size as the RFF Rookie, so it looks like I will be able to attach the pen to my current wallet, and not have to alter the Field Notes.

I also went the route of the rookie band however I also picked up a black leather rookie and a pack of the mini moleskin notebooks, I carry a space pen about 90% of the time and I use the notebook working on the ambulance/fire trucks. The only thing I've found is that the stowaway pens are much less strong than the space pens, I somehow dented the one I bought carrying it in my back pocket, however I've found the band/stowaway pen to be a little bulky for my normal front pocket carry. Hopefully you find a system that works better for you
  • Nathaniel P likes this

#16 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 05:42 PM

Hey Nathaniel, could you do me a favor if you still have a Rookie band and Field Notes handy?! Will the band stretch enough to go over the notebook without it damaging it and being able to fit a pen?

#17 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:18 PM

Hey Nathaniel, could you do me a favor if you still have a Rookie band and Field Notes handy?! Will the band stretch enough to go over the notebook without it damaging it and being able to fit a pen?

Just tried the band on a brand-new Field Notes:

Stretches over it easily, holds the stowaway pen easily. Also doesn't cause any flexing of the notebook.
However, with a more worn in notebook, the band would probably cause the notebook to flex.

#18 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:58 PM

Just tried the band on a brand-new Field Notes:

Stretches over it easily, holds the stowaway pen easily. Also doesn't cause any flexing of the notebook.
However, with a more worn in notebook, the band would probably cause the notebook to flex.

AHHHHHHHHHHHYEEEEEEAHHH!

Thanks so much for trying this out for me. I'm going to pair the Rookie band with the Hypalon Inspector, which is the only version that doesn't have a pen holder. I love the thinner design of the the wallet version and you can add a patch. Dope. The fact that the FN will be in a sturdier case will prevent the flex. AWESOME. Much appreciated!

• Nathaniel P likes this

#19 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:04 PM

AHHHHHHHHHHHYEEEEEEAHHH!

Thanks so much for trying this out for me. I'm going to pair the Rookie band with the Hypalon Inspector, which is the only version that doesn't have a pen holder. I love the thinner design of the the wallet version and you can add a patch. Dope. The fact that the FN will be in a sturdier case will prevent the flex. AWESOME. Much appreciated!

Glad I could help! That sounds like it would be a great combination!

#20 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:18 PM

Thanks again! My stuff is on the way. I'll post a pic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users