57 replies to this topic

#1 Tim

Tim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:41 PM

Could anyone suggest an everyday carry backpack for a student or young professional? 

#2 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:48 PM

For a 'young professional', I would not recommend using a backpack. Consider using a messenger bag or similar briefcase style bag.

Back in the day, in my transition from student to professional, I had a Timbuk2 messenger bag. It's super durable, and customizable. I still have it, and use it sometimes. It was well worth the money.  http://www.timbuk2.com/messenger-bags

For a more professional look, I've been using a Wenger Swissgear briefcase style bag. I've had it for approximately 8 years, gets daily use, has taken a beating, and looks brand new. I'm not a fan of leather bags, and like the Wenger brand. I've also had some clients comment when they notice my bag, expecting a leather briefcase, that they appreciate me not "killing a cow" to carry my stuff. That wasn't my intention, but still has a positive perception to some folks.

http://www.wengerna.com/business-gear

• Stupendous Walrus and Mikey Bautista like this

#3 Gunter

Gunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:14 PM

If you're looking for a small, simple backpack, I recommend the Marmot Scree. I've used it as a day hike pack for years, and it still looks and feels brand new. I'm actually looking at picking up a Maxpedition pack to use as my school backpack but most of them look too tactical.
  • Stupendous Walrus likes this

#4 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:35 PM

For a 'young professional', I would not recommend using a backpack. Consider using a messenger bag or similar briefcase style bag

This. If you have the $$$$ I strongly suggest something from J.W. Hulme. If not Swiss gear is great. If you insist on a back pack, GoRuck and Osprey both make clean, strong urban packs.

#5 Tim

Tim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:03 PM

Thanks for the responses! I'll look into these for sure. 

#6 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:22 PM

Depending on what you're going for, you might enjoy Herschel bags.  On the main site, you'll see plenty of pic uploads with Herschel products.  They have a couple backpacks I've been eyeballing for some time.  I can't deny slowly stalking a dude at the airport a few months ago just to see the brand of the bag he was carrying.  Turns out it was Herschel.  If you're going for more of a tactical look and function, Maxpedition would be a nice way to go.  

• Glen, Stupendous Walrus, John B. and 3 others like this

#7 Tim

Tim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:32 PM

Chis those Herschel backpacks look awesome. I've been eyeing a North Face Surge 2 for awhile now. I like the extra padding and the organization but those Herschel's are making me reconsider. I'm also very interested in those J.W. Hulme bags. 

• Stupendous Walrus and Chris Szaroleta like this

#8 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:34 PM

Chis those Herschel backpacks look awesome. I've been eyeing a North Face Surge 2 for awhile now. I like the extra padding and the organization but those Herschel's are making me reconsider. I'm also very interested in those J.W. Hulme bags. 

Yep!  SO. MANY. OPTIONS.  Choose wisely...   :D

#9 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 781 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:35 PM

Slightly more tacticool-looking for an office space, but I don't care and carry my 5.11 MOAB 10 hard. Fits my 12" laptop and really enjoy the sling over shoulder straps. Looking to get a RUSH 24 as well in the near future for my travel carry-on.

tumblr_ndu3zgf7T91tzj94wo1_1280.jpg

• Bernard Capulong, Chris Szaroleta, Mike H and 2 others like this

#10 Duff72

Duff72

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:38 PM

Slightly more tacticool-looking for an office space, but I don't care and carry my 5.11 MOAB 10 hard. Fits my 12" laptop and really enjoy the sling over shoulder straps. Looking to get a RUSH 24 as well in the near future for my travel carry-on.

tumblr_ndu3zgf7T91tzj94wo1_1280.jpg

I have a rush 24 that is a great pack. Maxpedition makes a great pack but might be to tactical looking for some. If you have a larger budget check out TAD gear.
  • Chris Szaroleta likes this

#11 MTBoxer

MTBoxer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:21 AM

It all depends what you need to carry.  For my needs, here's what I EDC:

http://hazard4.com/p...s/slings/rocket

• Jorruss likes this

#12 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 02:21 AM

I have a lot of North Face gear around the house; you can't go wrong with it.
  • Chris Szaroleta likes this

#13 Christopher

Christopher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationUpstate, South Carolina

Posted 30 January 2015 - 12:35 AM

Deuter makes nice small outdoors packs

Tom bihn has some better professional looking bags and offers many styles, american made too

#14 Mel R.

Mel R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Texas

Posted 31 January 2015 - 10:17 PM

Deuter makes nice small outdoors packs

Tom bihn has some better professional looking bags and offers many styles, american made too

I'm also a fan of Tom Bihn bags. Was about to pick up the Smart Alec, but then I left my office job to work in the Texas oilfields - it's too nice a bag to submit to those conditions. Perfect professional edc pack in my opinion.

• Christopher likes this

#15 James Caro

James Caro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:07 PM

There some great backpacks out there double stitching the slings and seems with tough button thread lends it unbelievable strength you can also add loops and elastic loops to hold solar chargers and such when needed to recharge when sunny safe and secure but easy to detach the charger when not needed using bungee straps the same colour as the backpack make them seem they were original to the backpack :)
I do find backpacks slightly better for carrying more comprehensive edc / bugout over messenger bags as they sit on your shoulder better with two straps and are more secure and with a chest strap stop things moving around or slipping off your shoulder if running (dodging rain) or speed walking etc.also adding a bin bag inside doubles the waterproofing of your contents rubber band around the top easy in easy out ! :)
I find personally The single strap on a messenger bag easily slips off your shoulder and if it accidentally gets ripped or torn you have not got a back up strap and are forced to carry it by hand :) just my personal feelings on the matter.

#16 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:57 AM

If the OP or anyone else is looking, Allen Edmonds make some great, classy bags, as well as a bunch of other awesome stuff. (Beet dress shoes on the planet in my opinion).

http://www.allenedmo...__subcategory__
  • Glen likes this

#17 Ed Jelley

Ed Jelley

• Moderators
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:11 PM

I EDC a Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon II. Chose it for its smaller size and slim profile. My 15" Macbook is a tight fit, but it works. Great quality and construction and it's not ignorantly large. 

http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B004H0TR0S

• Glen, Chris Szaroleta and saint_shinobi like this

#18 Mel R.

Mel R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Texas

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:32 AM

Just got a email from Indiegogo for a "smart backpack" and it looks petty stylish:

20150202011620-Screen_Shot_2015-02-02_at

Here's the link if anyone is interested.

• Stupendous Walrus likes this

#19 David Ladendorf

David Ladendorf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:55 AM

I'm currently using a 5.11 Tactical Rush24 as an EDC, but I'm saving up for a GR1.

#20 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 02:00 PM

Just got a email from Indiegogo for a "smart backpack" and it looks petty stylish:
20150202011620-Screen_Shot_2015-02-02_at

Here's the link if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the link Mel. These look reslly cool!
  • Mel R. likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users