50 replies to this topic

#41 David E

David E

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:23 PM

HA! Many great ideas!  For me, a nurse and former paramedic, I have handy...

Superglue-cuts, abrasions, hang nails, anything fingertip.  Pulls a wound together and seals it, or protective coat over other stuff.  We used to use in the ER but now there's Dermabond.  Same thing, cyanoacrylate.

Ibuprofen, Tylenol and aspirin, six of each together in a little ziplock.  They look different enough so you can pick which pretty easy.

Small blade to trim tissue.  Suture scissors work too.

For in the city you will be close to water for irrigation and should be able to properly dress any serious wound within a reasonable time.  Really for initial wound care pressure and elevation first, pressure dressing and seek proper care.  If you are confident in your wound care skills then superglue can save you a trip to the ER for wounds needing minor closure but any sign of infection and it's in to get help you go...

#42 armydoc

armydoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:59 PM

David,

Have you ever read a book called ditch medicine? In one part of the book it talked about dealing with infection and treating it with honey, which apparently mankind has been doing so for thousands of years.

They profile this one case where doctors treated a young man with a 12 gauge slug hole in his foot. It looked like someone took a cookie cutter to his foot.

The doctors treating the young man had decided against the use of antibiotics and treated the foot solely with honey. The results were pretty amazing.

The wound healed and never even a hint of infection.

#43 Shaun D

Shaun D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationI come from a land down under

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:03 AM

Second on the superglue...i have a small unopened tube on the side of my kit in the "grab and go" section of my kit. The reason i say unopened is because some forms of superglue need to be kept cold once you open it...and for some reason i cant find the other type anywhere. But i might pick up some dermabond to replace that.

I also second honey...while its antibacterial properties are great it needs to be pure honey which in some areas can be hard to find. However it is also good as an emergency sugar hit and tastes a hell of alot better than glucose paste.

#44 Donald McNany

Donald McNany

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 01:48 PM

AMK makes a nice "travel" first aid kit with a smattering of several meds you might need along with a basic boo boo kit and moleskin. I bought a bunch and gave them them as EDC presents to all the family.
My GHB/BOB has the much larger AMK FAK, can't recall it's name right now, hunter or something like that.
Anybody got an inexpensive source for CATs? I plan to add them to the GHB/BOBs.
As far as a well equipped inexpensive car/home/activity FAK goes, Sam's Club has a good one for about $20.
Honey is nature's antibiotic creme and skin treatment. I keep a large plastic tube of it in each GHB. The tubes were bought from www.countycomm.com. Apparently they are plastic soda bottle forms with lids that haven't been heated and blown out into the bottle form. They are like a heavy duty, capped plastic test tube.
  • Tanto Blade Advantages likes this

#45 Joshua Denton

Joshua Denton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:19 AM

These are cheap and effective also very easy to apply and can be used in multi casualty situations :http://www.medisave....00-p-98567.html

#46 Tanto Blade Advantages

Tanto Blade Advantages

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 11:38 PM

I like the ice pack idea, I think that I may have to add it to my system as well...

#47 Wayne Rullo

Wayne Rullo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:31 AM

I've been hearing that tampons are good to shove into large wounds since it's designed to both absorb a lot of blood and also expand into the wound for easier clotting. Can anyone verify this?

Tampons do work wonders for such wounds. I carry 2 of each absorbancy level. Light works great for most people with nosebleeds because its small enough to fit in the nostrils.

#48 Wayne Rullo

Wayne Rullo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:48 AM

My FAK for EDC is a gas mask pouch I bought at an army surplus store. I carry gauze pads of various sizes, bandaids of various sizes, 5 pair of gloves, a penlight, tourniquet, ductape, vaselime gauze, chapstick, trauma shears, forceps, waxed dental floss, tampons, maxipads, super glue, 2 curved sewing needles, saline nasal spray for irrigation, orajel (antistethic), an empty 10cc syringe, alcohol pads, and butterfly closures. Along with it is a CPR mask, knife, and searbelt cutter,a chest seal, chest decompression needle, stethoscope, BP cuff, dust mask N95 or better, and safety glasses. This all is squeezed into an 8 x 8 x 4 pouch. All of it can be mounted to a spare MOLLE thigh rig I have set up for my non dominant side but normally it fits in a picket of my backpack. This kit contains enoigh for most everyday needs and, if God forbid, the active shooter.

#49 Metro

Metro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:19 PM

The first thing I have accessable when I open any FAK is some kind of clean compress to apply pressure to a bad laceration. Stop bleeding, clean the area(alcohol swabs) ,triple antibiotic,bandage/wrap to protect and get to treatment or a more comprehensive kit.

#50 Metro

Metro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:25 PM

I actually keep a cylindrical mass of absorbent material attached to a string in my EDC FAK.  That's right, I didn't use the "T" word... haha!  I asked a female coworker if there was a more clinical term, but she wasn't aware of one.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Anyway, I was able to use one of these (which I swiped from my wife) one time to assist in slowing a nose bleed of another coworker.  Worked like a charm!

I refer to them as "Crammers"

#51 Wes

Wes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:46 PM

I carry a small kit from Walmart if carrying a bag, @$5, an assortment of adhesive bandages and includes a one time use ice pack. If pocket carry, I use 2 ea 3 x 4" ziplock bags, one has an small assortment of adhesive bandages and a individually packaged hand wipe, the second has individually packaged powdered OTC medications that can be taken without water. I also carry a sandwich bag that has a small trash bag, two pairs of non latex medical gloves and two face masks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fak, minimalist

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users