#1 Christopher

Christopher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationUpstate, South Carolina

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:31 PM

So I want a gps navigation, altimeter, barometer, compass watch that runs on solar power as a secondary or primary form of charge, Does this exist? I love the looks of the garmin fenix, and epix, but for the field or back country it isn't really that great with 50 hours of use in the navigation function.

I could always carry a usb backup battery charger, but why hasn't anyone created this yet? Or have they and I'm unaware?
  • Chris Szaroleta likes this

#2 Mason Delpino

Mason Delpino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:20 PM

It's almost $200, but I'd check out the Casio Pathfinder Solar-Powered Watch 1300B-4V. It has great reviews and looks very rugged and reliable. It IS solar powered, and has all the features you mentioned above! 

• Chris Szaroleta and Alex Bman like this

#3 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:56 PM

So I want a gps navigation, altimeter, barometer, compass watch that runs on solar power as a secondary or primary form of charge, Does this exist? I love the looks of the garmin fenix, and epix, but for the field or back country it isn't really that great with 50 hours of use in the navigation function.

I could always carry a usb backup battery charger, but why hasn't anyone created this yet? Or have they and I'm unaware?

I wouldn't be surprised if this exists, but I don't know of a specific brand/model.  I think a lot of people will use a couple devices to accommodate this need.  You can always find a decent ABC watch, but the navigation is the hard part.  I wear an ABC watch in the outdoors (Suunto Core) and then I use either my phone or a Garmin etrex 30 for navigation.  This, of course, is more specific to my surroundings.  The backcountry trails that are near me, and there are a lot, are all pretty we blazed.  Plus, the park rangers don't want campers going off trail to set up camp...mostly so the wildlife stays untouched.  I respect that and the rules they impose.  For those reasons, I don't find myself needing navigation when I'm backpacking/camping.  To be totally honest, the Garmin has ever only really come in handy when canoeing.  

• Christopher likes this

#4 Christopher

Christopher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:56 PM

It's almost $200, but I'd check out the Casio Pathfinder Solar-Powered Watch 1300B-4V. It has great reviews and looks very rugged and reliable. It IS solar powered, and has all the features you mentioned above!

This one isn't gps navigable is it?

#5 Christopher

Christopher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:57 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if this exists, but I don't know of a specific brand/model. I think a lot of people will use a couple devices to accommodate this need. You can always find a decent ABC watch, but the navigation is the hard part. I wear an ABC watch in the outdoors (Suunto Core) and then I use either my phone or a Garmin etrex 30 for navigation. This, of course, is more specific to my surroundings. The backcountry trails that are near me, and there are a lot, are all pretty we blazed. Plus, the park rangers don't want campers going off trail to set up camp...mostly so the wildlife stays untouched. I respect that and the rules they impose. For those reasons, I don't find myself needing navigation when I'm backpacking/camping. To be totally honest, the Garmin has ever only really come in handy when canoeing.

Honestly I'm feeling it doesn't exist. Some offer Gps for synching time but not for navigation. I wish someone would offer a reasonable sized one, I'd buy one in a heart beat

#6 Mason Delpino

Mason Delpino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:45 PM

Sorry— the Casio has a digital compass, not GPS. The Suunto Ambit3 Peak has a rechargeable li-ion battery, though, and it's GPS navigable!

• Christopher likes this

#7 Christopher

Christopher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:06 PM

Sorry— the Casio has a digital compass, not GPS. The Suunto Ambit3 Peak has a rechargeable li-ion battery, though, and it's GPS navigable!

I've got a a few Suunto watches, never been overly impressed with there product

I think Im gonna see what the fenix 3 from garmin is like when it hits store shelfs, it seems promising with the ability for other company's to product programs and faces and etc.

I just wish someone would make one that got better than 50 hours of minor gps use, and more than 20 hours of tracking gps use

Seems a solar secondary power source could maybe extend that by a few hours per a day of exposure

#8 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:30 PM

I've got a a few Suunto watches, never been overly impressed with there product

I think Im gonna see what the fenix 3 from garmin is like when it hits store shelfs, it seems promising with the ability for other company's to product programs and faces and etc.

I just wish someone would make one that got better than 50 hours of minor gps use, and more than 20 hours of tracking gps use

Seems a solar secondary power source could maybe extend that by a few hours per a day of exposure

Yep, that's tough.  There's a Casio I've had my eye on, but for some reason, they reverse the directional agrees on the watch's bezel...it's bizarre and I never noticed it until today when I was just on the brink of buying it.  It's this one...

#9 Buckelow

Buckelow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:52 AM

Hello everyone. 

Yep, that's tough.  There's a Casio I've had my eye on, but for some reason, they reverse the directional agrees on the watch's bezel...it's bizarre and I never noticed it until today when I was just on the brink of buying it.  It's this one...

You've mentioned this Casio clock. I remembered it because I've used a very similar Casio like this several months ago. The was an interesting case with this Casio gps. I have to mention that I was working as a truck driver for a couple of years. So long, everyone drivers and a trucks do have a gps tracking set installed. The truck is equipped and our smartphones( provided by employer) do have a specific tracking applications. So what's the point about Casio gps watch? As far a you've already tested that clock, the custom Casio tracking application is poor and do lack of features. So I asked for my work tracking service provider gps wox company, and they do provided my Casio with a custom tracking sofware. Also I got a free version of subscription and my watch have worked as simple tracker. The same service as - cell phone tracker that they provide. So my point is that even these type of gps watches do have an ability to be customized. The sad part is that I've left that employer and I lost my free sofware version option :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users