5 replies to this topic

#1 Andrea Lok

Andrea Lok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:29 PM

I'm in need of replacing an older digital camera that broke a couple of years ago.  It was a GE 8.0 megapixel camera that ran on two AA batteries.

I use it solely for recording stuff to put on youtube and for taking photos at conventions.  (No, I don't have a decent smart phone, and I don't have plans for to get one.)

Anyone have a good recommendation?

#2 T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:11 AM

Have a look at the Casio Exilims. I went through 2 or 3 models over a few years, adding more pixels, better zoom, image stabilisation with each upgrade. They are generally pretty slim, work well on auto and took good-quality shots.

Ultimately I wanted a bit more control over shots - like I have with DSLR - and switched to a Canon Powershot SX260. I am very pleased with it, but it is probably a bit feature-rich for the uses you describe. 

#3 Shaun D

Shaun D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationI come from a land down under

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:57 AM

My go-to point and shoot is a Sony A5000...while not strictly a point and shoot camera it does function as one with the advanced quality that you would get from the likes of a mirror-less DSLR, its 1080p video is pretty amazing for such a low end mirror-less as well. http://www.bhphotovi...ss_digital.html

If im out on the boat or in a situation where i might end up covered in something i also have a Sony DSC-TX3 which i like alot. It has some pretty good reviews, which is why i picked one up. http://www.bhphotovi...tal_camera.html

#4 Scott

Scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 11:48 PM

I use a sony rx100 mark 3 (the 4 is out with 4k video). Its simply the best point and shoot on the market (with others coming close such as the cannon gx7)

#5 alexthesmith

alexthesmith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 01:54 PM

check out the ricoh gr if you don't need a zoom

#6 Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:02 AM

I'm very happy with my Samsung WB350F. Touch screen and button controls, 200mm optical zoom, good battery life, tiltable pop up flash. The original post was from 2015 and most likely there have been some advancements but I still like the camera. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users