6 replies to this topic

#1 Duff72

Duff72

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:31 PM

Well I will kick this thread off by admitting that this is a total and complete hack job. As they say "if it is stupid and it works then it aint stupid". This started about a month ago when my spare key for my Honda Accord broke. Actually the plastic housing for the remote crumbled. The remote inside and the key were fine . I called honda and was floored when they told me that you could not buy just the case as the key is molded inside. They also told me that it could replace it for $175. WHAT !!! THE KEY WORKS. THE REMOTE WORKS. I just couldnt do it for a SPARE key. The problem was that the remote has to stay within about 1 inch of the physical key. So here it goes. 20150119_092458.jpg
found a piece of Ti in my basement and went to work
20150119_175639.jpg
20150119_175649_1.jpg
I drilled and tapped the key and the Ti blank and double stick taped the remote to it. This works fine for a spare key to sit in the cabinet. The key is so small that it had to be attached to something larger for leverage so my wife could turn it (she had carpal tunnel surgery and has seriously reduced hand strength) .
  • Airth likes this

#2 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:35 PM

Nice. If it works, it works.

#3 Marc

Marc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:18 PM

I was hoping to see duct tape somewhere on that thing  :P   Remember, duct tape is like the force: it has a dark side and a light side, and it keeps the universe stuck together !

• Stupendous Walrus and Chris Szaroleta like this

#4 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:24 PM

I was hoping to see duct tape somewhere on that thing  :P   Remember, duct tape is like the force: it has a dark side and a light side, and it keeps the universe stuck together !

Gorilla tape is better. The glue even more so.

Looks good to me Duff. Your quote is accurate. Nothing is stupid if it gets the job done right.
  • Vanessa Kitty likes this

#5 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:20 PM

Gorilla tape is better. The glue even more so.

Looks good to me Duff. Your quote is accurate. Nothing is stupid if it gets the job done right.

I am already enjoying this thread!

#6 Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:34 PM

If it works then good enough. $175 wow, yup I would have come up with something else.

Before scrolling down the photos I stopped and wondered how I would have dealt with this.

1/ put the fob guts in a small altoids tin

2/ make a housing out of hot glue

3/ I've got 3 small slide top containers that fit in a regular altoids tin

That was all in 5 seconds.

4/ A tic tac bottle

#7 Hagy Lunderman

Hagy Lunderman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 05:51 AM

Really interesting. The MOST interesting part it actually works!

Btw if you need some help with writing an essay thesis you can contact with me for more details!

Cheers, boys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users