#1 Griffen Kociela

Griffen Kociela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:49 PM

Is there a particular way you organize your keys? What do you keep on your keychain besides keys? What kind of ring/biner/hook/etc. do you use?

Personally, I keep the two keys I use most often (my apartment key and mailbox key) on a small paracord lanyard in my coin pocket. I like how flat the lanyard is compared to a traditional keyring. I usually walk to my classes since I live on campus, and therefore I usually do not carry my car keys daily, but those are on a small carabiner and either get thrown in my back pocket or clipped to a beltloop.

• Mason Delpino and Rock like this

#2 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:56 PM

Gerber Shard, Victorinox Classic (occasionally swapped for a Spartan or Tinker) on a small NiteIze biner. I would like to get ones of those small peanut lighters as well. Then just a couple keys.
  • Rock likes this

#3 Duff72

Duff72

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:12 PM

Sunshine products cash can and a nitecore tank. Caribiner is of the hardware store variety

#4 Glen

Glen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationN.Ireland

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:22 PM

Four keys and a USB drive in a leather/ss holder (http://everydaycarry...ient_Essentials). I like them compact, my keys were the 2nd thing I streamlined after my wallet.

(I'll have to post it in the DIY forum after moaning about getting one added)
  • Marc and Chris Szaroleta like this

ico50-twitter.gif ico50-instagram.gif ico50-tumblr.gif ico50-gplus.gif

#5 Griffen Kociela

Griffen Kociela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:25 PM

Four keys and a USB drive in a leather/ss holder (http://everydaycarry...ient_Essentials). I like them compact, my keys were the 2nd thing I streamlined after my wallet.

That key organizer is really cool! 

#6 Griffen Kociela

Griffen Kociela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:39 PM

Gerber Shard, Victorinox Classic (occasionally swapped for a Spartan or Tinker) on a small NiteIze biner. I would like to get ones of those small peanut lighters as well. Then just a couple keys.

Do you use the Gerber Shard often? I have a Leatherman Squirt PS4 in my EDC and have not seen a need for another MT taking up my pocket space. I don't even use my Leatherman that often, so it would be hard to justify adding another MT except for cool factor. Do you carry more than one MT, and if so, do you use them all?

#7 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:25 PM

I was shocked how much use I get out of the Shard. I use all the tools on a regular basis, exept the screwdriver. I have used the screwdriver sparingly, but have considered grinding it down as it digs in from time to time when sitting down. It's pretty damn sharp. I've wondered if it could be used as a glassbreaker in a pinch, but have nothing to test it on.

The pry is exceptional, except the driver might dig into your hand, depending on your hand size and grip. I have even used it to open paint cans and once as a shim in a pinch. The "prongs" are two different sizes to be used as flathead drivers which I use fairly often. The bottle opener, well...all the time when out with friends. I bought the Shard because I thought it would get some use as a pocket pry tool and if I didn't it wasn't an expensive purchase, and I underestimated it. There is just enough of a corner/edge to use it for opening packages, but not so much as to shred your clothes.

The SAK Classic is in the same boat. I use every tool regularily. I found it so useful I bought one for my mother, and she uses hers nearly everyday as well. If I have a regular sized SAK on my keys instead...same deal.

I have a Leatherman Skeletool CX. It's my first (and so far only) Leatherman style multitool. I wanted it because it doesn't have smaller tools, but simply pliers, bit drivers with storage, and a clip. I was pleasantly surprised with the blade. I bought the more expensove Skeletool because the blade on that one is 154CM, which I adore. The sheepsfoot blade on that has actually become one of my favourite blades of all my knives. (The Skeletool CX is outstanding in all categories). However, I found that 99% of the time, anytime I needed a tool like bit drivers or pliers I had my actual tools with me, thus it has phased out of my EDC. It now rides i. My cyclong kit, where it has saved my ass a bunch of times. The Skeletool is also fairly large and heavy, which is part of why I let it drop off my keys. I pccasionally carry it (it has a pocket clip as well) in my pocket as my knife, as the blade is accessible easily from the side, and locks, if I think I might need the tools. (I.e. Helping people out with minor issues like repairs etc).

To sum up, I love the Shard. I may modify it, but I haven't decided. I think it's an amazing tool. Same with the CX, but I'm looking at a much smaller Leatherman to add into the mox. The Classic is invaluable as well. Worst case scenario, without a knife etc, if I have my keychain with those two items, I can get by in a pinch.
  • Glen and Chris Szaroleta like this

#8 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:27 PM

I have a Keysmart for my keys. I have 6 keys, 2 of which are larger than standard. The Keysmart keeps them organized and tight, and looks cool. On the end of it, I use a small carabiner to attach/detach the car key.
  • Chris Szaroleta likes this

#9 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:21 PM

I saw that a few people requested some instructions from you, Glen.  Better get to it!

#10 Glen

Glen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationN.Ireland

Posted 20 January 2015 - 05:36 AM

I saw that a few people requested some instructions from you, Glen.  Better get to it!

Haha, I'll see what I can do in the next few days. It's not complicated at all, but need time to take a few photos.

#11 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:02 PM

Nothing, but keys, here.  No room for anything else lol.

#12 Glen

Glen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationN.Ireland

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:37 PM

Boom.

• Duff72, Stupendous Walrus, Griffen Kociela and 2 others like this

#13 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:46 PM

Boom.

...and even linked it!  Glen = Ninja

Also, here's what I call the "Keychain of Doom."  When deciding what I'll throw on my keychain along with my standards (truck key, keyless entry fob and house key) on any given day, I'm pulling from this one.  Some of the items are covered by others and I'm not labeling anything...if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

tumblr_nii4qyzH0i1u25gmmo1_1280.jpg

• Griffen Kociela, Dom, Mason Delpino and 3 others like this

#14 Marc

Marc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:16 PM

...and even linked it!  Glen = Ninja

Also, here's what I call the "Keychain of Doom."  When deciding what I'll throw on my keychain along with my standards (truck key, keyless entry fob and house key) on any given day, I'm pulling from this one.  Some of the items are covered by others and I'm not labeling anything...if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Hey Chris, what's the tapered tub shaped one with some kind of gap at the bottom (bottle opener maybe), the one at about 11:30?

#15 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:37 PM

Hey Chris, what's the tapered tub shaped one with some kind of gap at the bottom (bottle opener maybe), the one at about 11:30?

Great question, Mark!  I found this little guy on the "stocking stuffer" table at a store called Restoration Hardware this holiday season.  You're right, it is a bottle opener, but it's also a wine bottle opener!  Here's the link:

http://www.restorati...oryId=cat280049

There are tons of other cool toys there too...all on sale!  The classic match holder on my keychain (two items to the left of the opener you asked about) was purchased there this year also.

Here's the page with all the toys:

http://www.restorati...0049&sale=false

• Marc likes this

#16 Marc

Marc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:07 PM

Great question, Mark!  I found this little guy on the "stocking stuffer" table at a store called Restoration Hardware this holiday season.  You're right, it is a bottle opener, but it's also a wine bottle opener!  Here's the link:

http://www.restorati...oryId=cat280049

There are tons of other cool toys there too...all on sale!  The classic match holder on my keychain (two items to the left of the opener you asked about) was purchased there this year also.

Here's the page with all the toys:

http://www.restorati...0049&sale=false

Thanks for providing YET more sites for me to spend money!!!  ;)   As for the match holder, I have one exactly the same, except mine is missing the key chain loop thingie  :(

#17 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:34 PM

Thanks for providing YET more sites for me to spend money!!!  ;)   As for the match holder, I have one exactly the same, except mine is missing the key chain loop thingie  :(

I bet you could easily fix it!  Destroy an old coat hanger, bend it to shape and VOILA...a brand new keychain loop thingie!   

#18 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:34 PM

You're not manly unless you clip that thing onto your pants every day. :D
  • Glen, Griffen Kociela, Marc and 1 other like this

#19 Marc

Marc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:38 PM

You're not manly unless you clip that thing onto your pants every day. :D

Hahaha... I'm going to dig this old thing out of my camping gear and fit it with the best titanium-with-tungsten-core key chain dodad you'll ever see!!! 

#20 Jambon

Jambon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:06 PM

Love the keychain of doom. Doom being the fact it doesn't get you into your house or car! No keys! On a more boring note my keychain currently has a true utility Tele pen, led lenser V9 and leatherman micra. The micra is awesome but heavy. I was thinking of trying a gerber dime? Any thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users