#21 Griffen Kociela

Griffen Kociela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 April 2015 - 04:20 PM

Dan, I completely understand your dislike of unflexible wallets. They definitely feel very different. Personally, I like that this wallet doesn't flex because I have actually had several cards crack and break after being sat on in a flexible wallet too many times. For me, the thinness is the most important contributor to the comfort of the wallet.

Those Jac Henri wallets look very nice. 

#22 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:36 PM

I'm with Dan. They look cool but I've never been comfortable sitting on them. I've never had a card crack either, and I'm a fat guy!
  • Mel R. likes this

#23 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1380 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:39 PM

My surgeon banned me from sitting on a wallet. Hence, mathelusa the front pocket wonder!

• Mel R. and Dmytro like this

#24 Mel R.

Mel R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Texas

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:50 PM

I'm with Dan. They look cool but I've never been comfortable sitting on them. I've never had a card crack either, and I'm a fat guy!

Aren't they designed for front pocket carry?

#25 Mel R.

Mel R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:51 PM

My surgeon banned me from sitting on a wallet. Hence, mathelusa the front pocket wonder!

While I haven't been officially banned, I started carrying my leather card case in my front pocket (even though it's certainly flexible enough for the back), and won't be going back.

#26 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:23 PM

Aren't they designed for front pocket carry?

Maybe, but I will absolutely not carry my wallet in the front. Hate it, and that 's where all my EDC stuff goes.
  • Sam Quint likes this

#27 Glen

Glen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationN.Ireland

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:08 AM

Pretty hard to beat good 'ol fashioned leather for strength, flexibility and rigidity in a wallet.  I carry my wallet in my front pocket; I'm mostly desk bound in work, so my hips/back would be screwed if I sat funny all day.

• Stupendous Walrus and Mel R. like this

ico50-twitter.gif ico50-instagram.gif ico50-tumblr.gif ico50-gplus.gif

#28 Giannis Merichovitis

Giannis Merichovitis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:59 AM

I've played around woth various metal wallet and card holders. Personally I love leather fsr too much to change, but if I did, it would be along these lines:

https://www.etsy.com...ew_type=gallery

There is a guy on a youtube channel called MOD who has a tutorial on how to make these from wood! Really easy and fun project!
  • Griffen Kociela and Mel R. like this

#29 Mel R.

Mel R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:16 PM

There is a guy on a youtube channel called MOD who has a tutorial on how to make these from wood! Really easy and fun project!

A wood wallet would certainly be an interesting carry.

#30 Mason Delpino

Mason Delpino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:34 PM

Look at the Saddleback Leather minimalist wallets! http://www.saddlebac...om/walletsleeve

I have the Machine Era wallet (in both black and brass) and highly recommend them, too.

• Stupendous Walrus likes this

#31 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:54 AM

Saddleback are phenomenal products. Bellroy as well. My next wallet is a Bellroy Hide and Seek.
  • Mason Delpino and Mel R. like this

#32 Rees Klintworth

Rees Klintworth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:14 AM

I'm a little late to this party, but I recently made the jump from a bulky, full wallet to a minimalist wallet. I went with one from MSTRMND Collective (http://mstrmndcollective.com/) because I found their project on Kickstarter a few months back. I was able to get http://mstrmndcollective.com/products/apex-wallet-black-horizontal for $22 shipped, which was a great deal in my opinion.

I expected to face at least some discomfort since I wasn't used to a hard, metal wallet, but I've had no issues with the transition so far. Honestly there have been plenty of times where I thought I may have lost my wallet because I couldn't feel anything in my pocket. I currently have 5 cards in there, and while you could definitely fit more this feels like a nice size. If I ever need cash, I fold it in quarters and stick it between the back card and the elastic. 

#33 Giannis Merichovitis

Giannis Merichovitis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:32 AM

I'm thinking about making the switch as well! But I don't know, is it me or its hard to pick a minimalist wallet?

#34 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:07 PM

I'm thinking about making the switch as well! But I don't know, is it me or its hard to pick a minimalist wallet?

Nope, it's pretty damn difficult. There was a guy that joined on here to pimp his leathery goods and several members ended up buying his stuff. Lemme find the link...

Here we are: http://www.raphaelqu...allet-pre-order

Really beautiful items.
  • Dmytro likes this

#35 Giannis Merichovitis

Giannis Merichovitis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:56 PM

Nope, it's pretty damn difficult. There was a guy that joined on here to pimp his leathery goods and several members ended up buying his stuff. Lemme find the link...

Here we are: http://www.raphaelqu...allet-pre-order

Really beautiful items.

Walrus delivering! These wallets look sexy as hell! I'm only concerned that I won't be able to load these wallets with all the crap I load my bifold! :P

#36 Griffen Kociela

Griffen Kociela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:22 PM

Walrus delivering! These wallets look sexy as hell! I'm only concerned that I won't be able to load these wallets with all the crap I load my bifold! :P

One of the benefits I have found about a minimalist wallet is that it forces me to only carry the things I really need to have. I used to stuff my billfold wallet with receipts, business cards, and all kinds of stuff that I didn't need. 

#37 Lester

Lester

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:22 AM

Although not a minimalist wallet, I suggest the http://www.all-ett.c...nal-wallet.html . The side by side card configuration changed my life. I have always been a leather wallet guy but this changed how I feel about the Costanza situation. The beauty of this is that you don't have to decide on only 2 cards in your life.

#38 Giannis Merichovitis

Giannis Merichovitis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:46 AM

One of the benefits I have found about a minimalist wallet is that it forces me to only carry the things I really need to have. I used to stuff my billfold wallet with receipts, business cards, and all kinds of stuff that I didn't need.

That's what I've been trying to achieve. What's tempting with all the minimalistic wallets is that you can keep them in your front pockets and that's something I want to try!

#39 Arnie

Arnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:57 AM

I determined that I need the bifold or something with at least 4-5 pockets AND be thin enough to carry in my front pocket. Right now carrying the Big Skinny Compact Sports Wallet. You can't beat the thinness of the micro fiber material. It is not as sexy looking as leather, but very utilitarion nonetheless. I can store my license, insurance card, 4 credit cards, 2 gift cards and 2 photos right in the supplied inner pockets and still have a full pocket for flat cash bills and receipts. It is 5/16" thick with all of that as the microfiber adds only a sliver of thickness to the actual cards you are carrying.

#40 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:37 PM

I determined that I need the bifold or something with at least 4-5 pockets AND be thin enough to carry in my front pocket. Right now carrying the Big Skinny Compact Sports Wallet. You can't beat the thinness of the micro fiber material. It is not as sexy looking as leather, but very utilitarion nonetheless. I can store my license, insurance card, 4 credit cards, 2 gift cards and 2 photos right in the supplied inner pockets and still have a full pocket for flat cash bills and receipts. It is 5/16" thick with all of that as the microfiber adds only a sliver of thickness to the actual cards you are carrying.

I need a bifold too. If you're in the market for a new one, look at the Bellroy Hide and Seek. Very slim.
  • Arnie likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users