#1 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:47 PM

Warning: After I wrote this, I realized it is kind of long. You've been warned!

I recently received ITS Tactical's Boo Boo Kit, along with their EDC Slimline Pouch. It was ordered on Tuesday, and it arrived Thursday. 

The way it is set up is as follows: The entire kit is inside a heavy-duty poly bag. Inside the large bag, there are several smaller or "sub-bags" which organize similar items.

When I received my kit, the povidone-iodine prep pads had leaked (I am thinking this happened during shipping), basically ruining what was inside that sub-bag. I contacted ITS Tactical on Saturday, and on Monday (Not even a whole business day!) I received a response apologizing, and they immediately sent out a replacement sub-bag, (The shipping confirmation email was literally sent out 3 minutes after the email apologizing about the leak) which should arrive tomorrow. (A plus, they only seem to ship priority mail, so everything gets where it needs to fast).I didn't have to pay for anything, send anything in, etc. Now on to the good stuff:

Measurements:

(rough, because everything is in a bag and can kind of be compressed)

W=3.5"

H= 6.5"

D=1.25"

Contents, copied from ITS Tactical:

(1) Triangle Bandage w/ Safety Pins

(2) 2" x 2" Gauze Pad
(10) Band-Aid (6 Large, 4 Small)
(2) 3M Steri-Strips
(2) Povidone-Iodine Prep Pad
(2) Alcohol Prep Pad
(2) Triple Antibiotic
(2) Sting Relief Pad
(2) Burn Jel
(1) Moleskin (2” x 4” Strip)
(2) Lip Ointment
(2 pkgs. of 2 ea.) Electrolyte (Rehydration)
(2 pkgs. of 2 ea.) Ibuprofen (Inflammation, Soreness)
(2 pkgs. of 2 ea.) Non-Aspirin (Fevers)
(2 pkgs. of 1 ea.) Antihistamine (Allergic Reactions)
(2 pkgs. of 1 ea.) Anti-Diarrheal (Dehydration Prevention)
(2 pkgs. of 2 ea.) Aspirin (Heart Attack)

This is not a tricked-out super first aid kit, but one that addresses the most common injuries. ITS has a whole line of medical stuff, including a Plus variant of the Boo Boo Kit with some stuff like Quikclot, CPR shield, and gloves, and even a line of Trauma Kits, but the one I purchased is a good, solid, basic FAK. The stuff seems to be high quality, with name brand Band-Aids and such. It also includes two cards that list the contents, along with a place to write one's blood type and any allergies. 

The only thing I will probably change is the addition of a CPR shield, since I have the proper certification. I will probably buy one of these Laerdal ones, since they are fairly small and slim.

The Slimline Pouch is also very nice. Made in the USA. It comes with a PVC hook & loop Med patch designating it as a med item, but the patch can also be removed to carry other things. The Boo Boo Kit was a tight fit at first, but after leaving it in the pouch for a while, the elastic is gradually loosening to where it is easier to insert the kit. The pouch has MOLLE on the back, and ships with two MALICE Clips to attach to MOLLE-compatible gear. It can also be worn on a belt, either vertically or horizontally. Very flexible carrying options.

Bottom line: A really nice kit at a really nice price ($20) from a company with GREAT customer service. Looking for a first aid kit? Look no further.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

#2 Guest_Pete Joseph_*

Guest_Pete Joseph_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:22 PM

Can you post pix of your kit?

#3 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:49 PM

Can you post pix of your kit?

Unfortunately I do not have a camera, but here are some pics from ITS Tactical. Mine looks EXACTLY like these:

its-boo-boo-kit-1.jpg

How everything is organized inside the main bag:

ITS-Boo-Boo-Kit-3-600x384.1421391786.jpg

And the contents:

its-boo-boo-kit-4.jpg

• kwelsh likes this

#4 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:46 PM

Update: Replacement sub-bag arrived today, very fast shipping. My kit is now complete, and I love it! However, I did remove the triangular bandage, since I don't really know how to use one effectively, but mainly because it took up too much space. The kit now fits in the Slimline Pouch much more easily.

#5 Shaun D

Shaun D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationI come from a land down under

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:48 AM

If you carry a bandanna with you its pretty useless...however i would suggest learning how to tie a collar and cuff sling as well as a st john sling. Suddenly the triangular bandage will make sence...plus the zip lock bag makes a great ice pack or parts bag if things get really messy.

Before you buy the pocket shield take a look at the key ring version of the same thing if you want to go that way. However as someone who has been in several resus situations there is no way ill put my face that close to a person. You are better off getting something like this if your unwilling to go with the bulk of a bag mask

#6 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:03 AM

I have watched several videos on how to do those different slings, it is just I don't have actual hands-on experience. I could probably get a sling set up, but I don't have actual hands on training as I do with the other items in the kit, so I am not as confident in that ability.

I don't carry a keychain, and I chose the pocket ones because they look small enough to fit into the kit, where space is very constrained (That might be the main reason I chose to not keep the triangular bandage in there, simply because it would not fit in the pouch with the bandage in).

This kit is more for family outings/around the house than an EDC option (I don't carry a bag, and while the kit is compact it is not pocket-sized) As such the mask would most likely be for family members, if it is some random guy in Walmart I will be doing hands only as I was taught. 

Thanks for your knowledgeable advice! Please let me know if you have any other suggestions!

#7 Shaun D

Shaun D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:42 PM

If they are the ones i remember they take up about the same or less space as the gauze pads so yeah they should fit pretty well.

Current research (soon to be implemented into CPR) suggests that giving effective compressions is enough to sustain life without giving breaths. In our protocols and training this is the order of priority.

1. 100 Effective Compressions per min - limit time off chest as much as possible
  2. Defibrillate if there is a shockable rhythm
  3. Give effective breaths ever 30 seconds
  4. Medications such as vasopressors (adrenalin) and antiarrythmics (amiodarone) - however research suggests that these dont do much to assist patient outcomes either.

In the event you only have 1 person in the resus steps 3 and 4 get thrown out pretty quick.

• Nathaniel P likes this

#8 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:08 PM

The training I received also said that compressions were often sufficient, but they didn't completely cut out mouth-to-mouth, probably just cautiousness on the part of the certifying group (AHA). Good to hear from another source.

Whatever the case, would you recommend I add the face shield, or is there another piece of equipment it would be more beneficial to add to my kit in about the same form factor or less? The larger version of the kit had some Quikclot, and the 2x2 pads would fit in my kit. However, I am wary of including them, since I have not had formal training in their use.

#9 Shaun D

Shaun D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:44 PM

AHA (in Aus they are called the ARC) review their guiedlines the same as most of the world. In the next review breaths are likely to be removed (dont quote me on that), however until such a time as they are still in the guidelines they need to be included in any approved training.

Quick-clot is wonderful stuff...if it is in date and you have significant trauma. In most cases gauze and pressure will be sufficient. Add the mask and two nitrile gloves and i think you have a pretty good go anywhere kit.

#10 David E

David E

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:21 PM

Generally my attitude is that if I'm going to lock lips with someone, I better know them or maybe for a kid.  Effective compressions are the most important part of any resus.  After that you need more toys like ambu-bag, IV access and a AED or a proper lifepack.  For your purpose for treating your loved ones I wouldn't even worry about a barrier.  You won't care, and using a barrier moving air is less effective and will slow down the process.

I keep tooting the superglue horn but throw a little tube in there.  Also, for general adhesive application skin-prep wipes to make the skin tacky keeps dressings in place.

#11 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 22 March 2016 - 10:49 PM

I just received the ITS Boo Boo Kit Plus as I wanted a little extra for overseas travel.
My only issue now is finding a bag that I can place the contents into in order to make them easily accessible in an emergency situation. ITS packs a lot into a compact package, but you would need to dump it out to get what you need.
The one item they sell to carry it is a simple nylon zip bag that you can just squeeze the pre packed kit into.
I inquired about the two trauma kit pouches they sell. They said their ITS Fatboy would work but would be a tight fit.
I've been looking at possibly getting the Vanquest FATPack 5x8 First Aid Trauma Pack although it looks very similar to the ITS pack

#12 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:20 AM

I just received the ITS FATBOY last night, which I like very much  

https://store.itstac...uch-fatboy.html 

I was able to fit almost the entire contents of the ITS Boo Boo Kit Plus into it, with the exception of an instant cold pack.  I was actually able to fit it in, but it was a very tight fight.             

https://store.itstac...uch-fatboy.html

• Nathaniel P likes this

#13 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 08 April 2016 - 12:40 PM

I continue to be able to fill my ITS FATBOY after transferring the ITS Boo Boo Kit Plus into it (minus the instant cold pack).  I just added the QuickClot Combat Gauze.

http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/B001E1CLTC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users